Fellow blogger Diane Vallere http://www.dianevallere.blogspot.com/ calls these time machine crushes. I love the term, and it gives a name to my disease. Ah, the time machine crush: it doesn’t matter if these men are senior citizens, raging addicts, married, or even dead. The time machine crush is eternal, unsullied by the downer that is “real life.” Bring on the obscure, bring on the mod suits, the crazy hair, and oh, yes–the TMC staple–the Tight Pants! I could make a whole satellite blog on this subject alone….ahem. I swear I wasn’t this bad before YouTube. Anyhoo, here’s my short list:
- Bowie, Ziggy Stardust era. Of course he’s the super-influential musical genius and style icon, but he also originated the mullet while wearing a leotard. That alone should get him on anyone’s list.
- Donovan, sweet folk boy. Catch the Wind is a total tear-jerker.
- Eric Burdon, mid-sixties. Oh, I’ll bring it on home to you, Eric–any time!!
- Bernard Sumner. I was twelve when I first heard New Order and it changed my life. Then I saw what Barney looked like–’nuff’ said. This gig is the Holy Grail of time machine goodness!
- This one’s a little more obscure–A Certain Ratio. Simon Topping’s the singer–he even sounds yummy.
- Phil Lynott and Gary Moore–best buddies, so lovable with the hair, the expressions, the costume changes, and tight pants ahoy!
I could go on, but you get the idea–and I’m thinking this will be a series. So what are yours?